Saturday, December 15, 2012

Technical Writing Is Important | dispatchedword

I did a co-op that lasted a year total. ?I can say confidently that technical writing is important in the engineering workplace based on that little amount of experience. ?I created presentations mostly using PowerPoint. ?Occasionally, I wrote a few reports. ?They always concerned very important subject matter, so proper communication is crucial. ?A misunderstanding could mean grave consequences. ?I worked in the high-pressure fuel rail area. ?Our products dealt with gasoline under high pressures and temperatures. ?A small mistake on our part could cost someone?s life. ?

I think the class has taught me a great deal about proper technical writing. ?Some of the material in class was not new to me because of my co-op, but I was pleasantly surprised at times to see that the material did indeed have its place in the real-world workplace. ?

I co-oped with Bosch, which is a German company. ?Many of the employees at the Charleston Bosch had to converse with people who speak English as a second language. ?Meetings between German coworkers or Japanese suppliers was very commonplace. ?It was especially important to have proper technical communication because there was a greater chance of confusion due to the language barrier. ?

Even if my career does strictly involve only numbers and spreadsheets, good communication skills are crucial for earning respect and moving forward in the real-world and workplace. ?If I were to speak in an ignorant fashion, people may assume I am indeed ignorant and thus a less-capable candidate for a job. ?I need to be able speak and write well in order to be respected. ?Even if I were a total genius, it would not matter if I am not equipped to convince the person interviewing me that I am indeed a genius. ?I need to have these skills in order to avoid misrepresenting myself. ?

Like this:

Be the first to like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment